At the start of the week Floyd was rather solemn, but seemed more content and at peace when I was last with him. He has had some very sweet visits with carers in recent days. During one of them, the carer took a photo of Floyd and let him look at himself on the screen. He smiled really big, and seemed to enjoy looking at himself. Not sure what that means. :) Hmmmmm!
The carer also told him what a blessing our son Matthew has been during this journey. He moved here to help and support us in any way he could. He has been a big help to me. Floyd cried when being told about this.
Another carer shared some special scriptures, and had a lovely time of prayer with Floyd.
I started with all my new treatment this week. Trusting for it to bring further strength and healing to my body.
In times of trials and suffering, it's so easy to only see the negatives, the hard things. But if we will allow Him to, God will bring so many positives, so many good things into our lives.
I recently saw this quote - "spiritual blessings come wrapped in trials." I've been pondering all the blessings God has brought into my life on the unexpected journey we've been on. As we begin this new year, I've been reflecting on all He has done in the previous year. He's been so faithful. I got so excited when I started thinking of all the good and wonderful things that God has brought into my life......blessings wrapped in trials. I just have to share them with you!
- The trials have "pressed" me deeper in my walk with Him in order to survive.
- Through that has come a precious intimacy with the Lord.
- And along with it has come unexplainable joy in the midst of the trials. "In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have to suffer in all kinds of trials." 1 Peter 1:6
- God's Word, His promises have taken on new depth and such personal meaning to my heart.
- There has been a clear sense of God carrying me through the hard times and holding my hand. "I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
- In the midst of the storms, there has been a "peace that passes understanding." Philippians 4:7
- There has been a release of sweet, deep personal worship.
- I continually hear Him speaking encouragement into my heart and mind.
- I can't talk with Floyd, so I talk with the Lord. He has become my constant counsellor. "I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." Psalm 32:8
- In my "aloneness" my friendship with the Lord has grown so much deeper.
- I have experienced new, greater, deeper levels of His powerful sustaining grace.
- He has given me sufficient strength on my weakest of days. "God's power is made perfect in our weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9
- He has healed my heart on days when my heart could only weep.
- He has collected my tears in a bottle. "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." Psalm 56:8
- He has renewed my strength and energy after I had gone so, so low.
- He continually lifts my head when it droops from weariness. "But You, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head." Psalm 3:3
- He carries my burdens that at times seem too heavy to bear.
- He relieves my anxieties if my mind wanders into fields of worry. "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." I Peter 5:7
- I've experienced new depths of trust. I never knew it was possible to trust so deeply and intensely.
- I knew He was faithful, but He has exceeded all my expectations.
- He has helped me have patience when mine was all used up.
- He has renewed my hope when my hope dimmed. The wick of hope may flicker, but it won't be quenched if we keep our focus on Him.
- He has given me sweet "gifts" to warm my heart - whales, rainbows, beautiful sunsets, and even a huge owl flying right by my window.
- I've been carried by the prayers of others in ways I never dreamed possible.
- Friends (both hear and far) have loved and supported me at new depths. Friendships have become one of my sweetest treasures.
- Friends, and even complete strangers, have helped provide for us. Early on God spoke to my heart that He would take care of us in our old age. "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you." Isaiah 46:4
I better stop because I think my list could just go on and on and on! And there are so many verses of promise in the Word that He'll do these things for us in the midst of trials. I've only quoted a few.
I keep thinking of more and more good things that have come into my life in the midst of the painful journey. The blessings that have come wrapped in trials have been amazing - and abundant.
I don't know what's ahead. My life could end tomorrow. But, if so, it would be with my heart full of gratitude for God's faithfulness and goodness. He has poured a multitude of blessings into my life on this unexpected journey.
And, yet again, I must quote Jeremiah 29:11: " 'For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
There is a prayer ringing in my heart that each of us will find blessing in the trials that come into our lives this year. I know God wants to pour out those blessings into our hearts.
While God has been refreshing and renewing hope in my heart, I've been asking Him how I'm to pray in this new year. I've felt clearly led to go back to the prayer of "breakthrough." The breakthrough I'm praying for Floyd is healing or heaven. I trust in the sovereignty of God and what He knows is best for Floyd. I'm praying for that breakthrough to come this year.
I'm praying for breakthrough for me too - a healing breakthrough. I'm praying for the cancer to be fully cleansed from my body, and I'm also praying for healing from the still-lingering side effects from the chemo that are weighing my body down.
A friend recently sent me a video clip by the speaker Louie Giglio. He shares about a protein molecule in our bodies called "laminin." I had never heard of it before. I've watched the video clip several times and have ended up crying and worshipping the Lord each time. You have to take a few minutes to find it on Youtube and watch it! I guarantee you will be blessed.
We are truly "fearfully and wonderfully" made. Psalm 139:14 And the God who made us with laminin knows every cell in our bodies that needs His healing breakthrough touch!
"Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for You are the One I praise." Jeremiah 17:14
" 'I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,' declares the Lord." Jeremiah 30:17
"Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me." Psalm 30:2
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26
There is, of course, no magic button to push for God to heal us, but I do believe He loves it when we ask. I always ask by telling Him that I trust whatever outcome He brings. I know He has plans "to give us a hope and a future."